Saturday, April 28, 2012

Happy Birthday Eeyore.

When I woke up this morning, I woke up in Austin, TX on The Shady Rest Band's couch. I rubbed the sleep from my eyes and remembered that today is Eeyore's birthday, searched for my keys, wallet, and cell phone among the empty PBR Silos and other shenanigans on the coffee table and tried to replay the night.

It wasn't a blackout. I had only had one avocado margarita, and two beers. Ok, three beers. Hardly enough to explain waking up randomly throughout the night to scenes like one of the band members, wrestling with someone else on the living room floor, crashing over furniture and spilling beer. (Poor defenseless beer.) Or drunk guy with mullet (not band member) rocking out on the acoustic guitar three feet from my head.

I was the guy on the couch. Road weary and dog tired. I think I vaguely remember having the thought: Just 20 minutes and I'll rally. An hour later, after opening one eye to see who had the upper hand in the wrestling match, I decided I wasn't going to be able to play catch-up to get to these guys' level and simply rolled over.

Why Austin, TX you might be wondering. I am about to go on a week long stand up paddleboarding and deep water soloing trip with our SD guitarist, Dave Costello, and another friend. So far, this being my first time to Texas, I have to say things are done right down here.

Just dropping a line to let everyone know that the dominoes are being set up so that when our student editors have time we'll bang out the documentary.

We have music being recorded, in partnership between, Dave Costello and Chris Beaty at Sonic Bloom. Those two are extremely talented people and we are looking forward to hearing what they come up with. Chris has been involved with the last two Dudes On Media films, Paddle to Seattle, and Go Ganges. 


Slowly, but I assure you surely thing are moving forward.

To celebrate Eeyore's birthday--even if I was the only one in the house that was celebrating it-- Ben the banjo player and Jaz the guitar player invited me out to breakfast at a small mexican place. By way of a gas station for a road beer.

The restaurant being only a quarter mile away meant that we had to drive around the block a few times to finish the beer. When in Rome... The heavy metal music exploding from Jaz's car speakers, the morning beer, the cheap mexican food, all for you Eeyore. Happy birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment